Ph.D. in Communication, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania, USA, July 2008. Dissertation title: Deliberation and the Disempowered: Access, Experience and Influence.
Master of Philosophy in Communication (Graduation with honors), School of Journalism and Communication, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, July 2003. Thesis title: Subaltern Public Spheres on the Internet: A Case Study of a Chinese Online Discussion Board.
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism (Graduation with honors), Department of Journalism and Communication, Nanjing University, China, July 2001.
Civic Engagement and ICTs
- Perrault, S. & Zhang, W. (2019). Effects of Moderation and Opinion Heterogeneity on Attitude towards the Online Deliberation Process. Proceedings of CHI 2019 (Full paper), Glasgow, UK.
- Zhang, W., & Soon, C (2017). The Main and Spillover Effects of Online Deliberation: Changes in opinions, informational media use and political activities. Proceedings of CeDEM 2017, Danube University Krems, Austria.
- Zhang, W. (2016). Social media and elections in Singapore: comparing 2011 and 2015. Chinese Journal of Communication, 9(4), 367-384.
- Zhang, W. & Sabrina, M. Anthony. (2016). Alternative tweeting: A comparison of frames in Twitter’s political discourse and mainstream newspaper coverage on Singapore General Elections 2011. In M. Adria & Y. Mao (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Citizen Engagement and Public Participation in the Era of New Media. IGI Global.
- Zhang, W. & Pang, N. (2016). The Internet and social media. In Lee, T., & Tan, K. (Eds.), Change in voting: Singapore’s 2015 General Election. Singapore: Ethos Books.
- Zhang, W. (2015). Perceived procedural fairness in deliberation: Predictors and effects. Communication Research. 42(3), 345-364.
- Haciyakupoglu, G. & Zhang, W. (2015). Social media and trust during the Gezi Protests in Turkey. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 40(2), 250-266.
- Zhang, W. (2015). The disenfranchised and eDeliberation: Beyond access. In Coleman, S., Przybylska, A., & Sintomer, Y. (Eds.), Deliberation and Democracy: Innovative Processes and Institutions, pp. 57-82. Frankfurt, Germany: Peter Lang.
- Lu, X., Zhang, W., Przybylska, A, De Liddo, A., Convertino, G., Davies, T., & Klein, M. (2015). Design for Online Deliberative Processes and Technologies: Towards a Multidisciplinary Research Agenda. Proceedings of CHI 2015 (Workshop), Seoul, South Korea.
- Menon, S. & Zhang, W. (2014). A value-based design approach for online deliberation. In M. M. Skoric, P. Parycek, & M. Sachs (Eds.), Proceedings of CeDEM Asia 2014, pp.81-96. Hong Kong, China.
- Zhang, W. (2015). The silence of majority: Political talk during 2011 election time. In Tan, T. H., Mahizhnan, A., & Ang, P. H. (Eds.), Battle for hearts and minds: New media and elections in Singapore. pp.227-246. Singapore: World Scientific.
- Zhang, W. & Chang, L. (2014). Perceived Speech Conditions and Disagreement of Everyday Talk: A Proceduralist Perspective of Citizen Deliberation. Communication Theory, 24(2), 124-145.
- Zhang, W. (2014). 新科技对政治传播的影响 The influence of new technologies on political communication (中文 in Chinese). In J. Hong (Ed.), New trends in communication studies. pp.732-746. Beijing, China: Tsinghua University Press.
- Chang, L., Jacobson, T., & Zhang, W. (2013). A Communicative Action Approach to Evaluating Citizen Support for a Government’s Smoking Policies. Journal of Communication, 63(6), 1153-1174.
- Zhang, W. (2013). Redefining youth activism through digital technology in Singapore. International Communication Gazette, 75(3), 253-270. (Reprinted in Youth Culture and Activism in Southeast Asia. ISEAS, 2015)
- Zhang, W., Cao, X., & Trah, M. N. (2013). The structural features and the deliberative quality of online discussions. Telematics & Informatics, 30(2), 74-86.
- Zhang, W. (2012). The Effects of Political News Use, Political Discussion and Authoritarian Orientation on Political Participation: Evidences from Singapore and Taiwan. Asian Journal of Communication, 22(5): 474-492.
- Zhang, W. (2010). Technical capital and participatory inequality in eDeliberation: An actor-network analysis. Information, Communication & Society, 13(7), 1019-1039.
China and Internet
- Zhang, L. & Zhang, W. (2018). The influence of monetization on the public functions of Weibo, Global Media and China, 3(3), 195-212.
- Zhang, W. (2016). The Internet and New Social Formation in China: Fandom Publics in the Making. London and New York: Routledge.
- Zhang, W. & Zhang, L. (2015). Fandom of foreign reality TV shows in Chinese cybersphere. In Chen, W. & Reese, S. (Eds.) Networked China: Global Dynamics of Digital Media and Civic Engagement: New Agendas in Communication, pp.197-213. London: Routledge.
- Zhang, W & Chib, A. (2014). Internet studies and development discourses: The cases of China and India. Information Technology for Development, 20(4), 324-338.
- Zhang, W. & Mao, C. (2013). Fan activism sustained and challenged: Participatory culture in Chinese online translation communities. Chinese Journal of Communication, 6(1), 45-61.
- Zhang, W. (2012). Virtual communities as subaltern public spheres: A theoretical development and an application to the Chinese Internet. In H. Li (Ed.), Virtual community participation and motivation: Cross-disciplinary theories. Pp.143-161. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Zhang, W., & Wang, R. (2010). Interest-oriented versus relationship-oriented social network sites in China. First Monday, 15(8).
- Zhang, W. (2006). Constructing and disseminating subaltern public discourses in China. Javnost-The Public, 13(2), 41-64.
Emerging Media Behaviors
- Zhang, W. (2015). Learning variables, in-class laptop multitasking and academic performance: A path analysis. Computers & Education, 81, 82-88.
- Zhang, L. & Zhang, W. (2013). Real-time Internet news browsing: Information vs. experience-related gratifications and behaviors. Computers in Human Behavior, 29(6), 2712-2721.
- Zhang, W. & Zhang, L. (2012). Explicating multitasking with computers: Gratifications and situations. Computers in Human Behavior, 28 (5), 1883-1891.
- Zhang, W. (2011). Multitasking with new media in large classrooms: Findings from online survey and focus groups. In S. D. Liew (Ed.), Technology in Higher Education: The State of the Art. pp.138-143. Singapore: CDTL, NUS.
- Zhang, W., Jeong, S. H., & Fishbein, M. (2010). Situational factors competing for attention: The interaction effect between multitasking and sexual explicitness on TV recognition. Journal of Media Psychology, 22(1), 2-13.
- Jeong, S., Zhang, W., Fishbein, M., Davis, E., Bleakley, A., Jordan, A., & Hennessy, M. (2010). Multiple media use and multitasking with media among high school and college students: A Diary method. In M.B. Hinner (Ed.), The interrelationship of business and communication. Frankfurt am Main, Germany: Peter Lang GmbH.
- Principle Investigator (2019-2020), AcRF Tier 1 Grant, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore, S$13,371
- Co-Principle Investigator (2018-2020), Seed Fund, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore, S$20,000
- Principal Investigator (2015-2016), FASS Book Grant Scheme, S$8,250
- Principal Investigator (2014-2017), Deliberative governance: Developing a digital platform, Ministry of Education, Singapore, S$430,000
- Principal Investigator (2011-2012), Large Grant Writing Workshop Scheme, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore, S$9800
- Co-Principal Investigator (2011-2013), News Across the Great Wall: Analyzing Taiwan, Asian, and Western News Media’s Web Strategies for Internet Users in China, CHIANG CHING-KUO FOUNDATION FOR INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARLY EXCHANGE, US$34,955.
- Co-Principal Investigator (2011-2012), 2011 Singapore General Election Survey, IPS, Singapore, S$50,000 (US$40,116)
- Co-Principal Investigator (2009-2011), Citizen Participation and Legitimacy: Issues in the Evaluation of Health Policy-Making, Faculty Research Committee (FRC) Tier 1, National University of Singapore, S$62,100 (US$44,708)
- Co-Principal Investigator (2009-2011), IPS-CNM Media Use Surveys, Tote Board, Singapore, S$47,800 (US$34,388)
- Principal Investigator (2009-2011), Youth engagement and ICTs in Asia, PANeGov, IDRC, Canada, S$176,000 (US$122,000)
- Principal Investigator (2008-2011), Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences Start-Up Fund, National University of Singapore, S$20,000 (US$12,935)
- Principal Investigator (2008), GAPSA-Provost Award for Interdisciplinary Innovation, University of Pennsylvania, US$6,000
- Entertaining Publics, Sun Yet-Sen University, Guangzhou, China, November 10th, 2018
- Youth, ICTs, and Political Engagement in Asia: A revisit after six years, DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP IN ASIA WORKSHOP, National University of Singapore, October 12th, 2018
- Fostering citizen deliberation through online platforms, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, September 19th , 2018
- Online deliberation in Singapore, The Lianhezaobao Singapore-China Forum, Singapore, July 10th, 2018
- Audience/Consumer/Public/Crowd in media scape?: The history and future of media and cultural studies, Sun Yet-Sen University, Guangzhou, China, October 11th, 2017
- Fandom publics: Networks and new social formation in China, Sun Yet-Sen University, Guangzhou, China, April 1st, 2017
- Fandom publics: Networks and new social formation in China, City University of Hong Kong, March 31st, 2017
- Fandom publics: Networks and new social formation in China, University of Virginia, March 21st, 2017
- Fandom publics: The Internet and new social formation in China, Chinese University of Hong Kong, January 18th, 2017
- Mapping the space for online deliberation, University of Wurzburg, November 28th, 2016
- Fandom publics: The Internet and new social formation in China, Leiden University, November 9th, 2016
- Online deliberation in Singapore, University of Amsterdam, October 25th, 2016
- Mapping the field of online deliberation, University of Warsaw, October 12th, 2016
- Fandom publics: The Internet and new social formation in China, Royal Holloway University, September 20th, 2016
- Online deliberation in Singapore, Prime Minister’s Office, Singapore, July 29th, 2016
- Online deliberation in Singapore, Institute of Policy Studies, Singapore, July 27th, 2016
- Mapping the field of online deliberation, Public Policy and Public Consultation: Deliberative Democracy in Asia, Singapore, May 20th – 21st, 2016
- The reality of reality shows: Online fans community and intercultural communication (Keynote Speech), the Second Cross-Strait Conference on Speech Communication, Guangxi Arts University, Xiamen University and Shih Hsin University of Taiwan, Nanning, China, December 2015
- Panelist on “Global Perspectives on Social Media and Sociopolitical Engagement”, Global Communication Research in the 21st Century Symposium, The Penn-Wharton China Center in Beijing, June 16th, 2015
- Panelist on “Networked China Bluesky workshop”, the 65th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association, San Juan, Puerto Rico, May 25th, 2015.
- Presenter at the Comparative Political Communication Conference, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, February 5th, 2015.
- Celebrity activism on Weibo: Performance, style, and social networks (spotlight presentation), the China Internet Research Conference, Hong Kong Polytech University, Hong Kong, June 19th-21st, 2014
- Fandom of foreign reality TV shows in Chinese cyber sphere, the conference on “Networked China: Global Dynamics of Digital Media and Civic Engagement”, College of Communication, the University of Texas at Austin, October 17th-19th, 2013
- Social media in China: A credibility crisis?, the workshop on ‘China India Media Mediation’, Institute of South Asian Studies, NUS, Singapore, May 17th, 2012
- Political Cynicism and Political Communications in an Authoritarian Democracy, the Seminar on "The Influence of Political Cynicism and Political Efficacy on Media Use: Further findings from the IPS Survey", Institute of Policy Studies, National University of Singapore, September 14th, 2011
- Change, Youth, Failure, Excellence (keynote lecture), the 22nd International Youth Forum, Ministry of Gender Equality and Family and National Council of Youth Organizations in Korea, August 18th, 2011
- Urban Youth, ICTs, and Civic Engagement in Asia, East Asia Institute, National University of Singapore, September 13th, 2010
- Youth Engagement and ICTs in Asia: A Comparative Analysis, Young Scholar Forum 2010, School of Journalism, Renming University, July 10th, 2010
- Youth Engagement and ICTs in Asia: A Comparative Approach, The Joint Summer School by Chinese University of Communication, Chinese University of Hong Kong, University of Westminster and University of Pennsylvania, Chinese University of Communication, July 8th, 2010
- Youth, ICTs and Political Engagement in Asia, Workshop on Potential for Mobile 2.0 in Emerging Asia, LIRNEAsia, June 22nd, 2010
- Multitasking with (new) media, Communication and New Media Programme, National University of Singapore, April 14th, 2010
- Communication and values on political engagement, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Malaya, December 7th, 2009
- Multitasking with media: From antecedents to consequences, School of Communication and Information, Nanyang Technological University, October 21st, 2009
- Pushing democracy: Prospects for media and technology, Peace, Human Rights, Good Governance: East Asian Democracies at the Crossroads, The Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism, September 30th, 2009
- In search of collective action: Relationship-oriented vs. interest-oriented social networking sites in China, Communication and New Media Programme, National University of Singapore, April 1st, 2009
- eDeliberation and the disempowered: Access, experience and influence, Communication and New Media Programme, National University of Singapore, March 2008
- The Internet and disempowered groups, Department of Communication, College of Charleston, January 2008
- New media behaviors: What they are and what they do, Department of Advertising, The University of Texas, Austin, November 2007
Editorial Board Membership
- Annals of the International Communication Association (formerly Communication Yearbook), Associate Editor
- International Communication Gazette, Associate Editor
- Media Asia
- Journal of Public Deliberation